Affordable & Supportive Family Housing at Van Dyke Overview
Site Name: Affordable & Supportive Family Housing at Van Dyke
Developer: CAMBA Housing Ventures, Inc.
Number of Units:
101 units; 44 one-bedrooms, 57 two-bedrooms
Address: 603 Mother Gaston Blvd., Brooklyn, NY 11212
Architect: Dattner Architects
Contractor: Bruno Frustaci Contracting, Inc.
Social Service Provider: CAMBA, Inc.
Building Size: 12-story building, 109,415 Gross Square Feet
Corporation for Supportive Housing
New York City Housing Preservation & Development Extremely Low & Low-Income Affordability Program (HPD ELLA), New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC), New York State Homes & Community Renewal Homes for Working Families Program (HCR HWF), New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance Homeless Housing Assistance Program (OTDA HHAP), Low Income Housing Tax Credit Equity, New York State Energy Research Development Authority (NYSERDA)
LOC Provider: JPMorgan Chase
Syndicator: RBC Capital Markets (Investor: Bank of New York)
Completion Date: Spring 2017
Property Management: WinnResidential
Draft Rendering: Dattner Architects
About Affordable & Supportive Family Housing at Van Dyke
- Through a competitive New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) Request for Proposals (RFP), CHV was awarded the right to acquire and develop the underutilized NYCHA parking lot into sustainable, supportive and affordable rental housing for families.
- 101 units of sustainable, permanent, affordable and supportive family housing in Brownsville, Brooklyn.
- Represents nearly $56 million in public/private investment in Brownsville and the first new construction development at NYCHA's Van Dyke Houses in decades.
- 101 one- and two-bedroom units: 100 affordable rental housing units for families earning under 60% of Area Median Income (AMI), including:
- 45 units leased to qualified families referred by NYCHA through a site based waiting list;
- 25 units leased to qualified families through a HPD/HDC lottery;
- 30 units for qualified formerly homeless families referred through the NYC Department of Homeless Services;
- 1 unit for on-site superintendent.
- 24/7 Front Desk Security provided by CAMBA, including CCTV system;
- Computer training center available for all residents;
- On site Laundry room
- Two flexible community rooms for larger group activities and community meetings
- Outdoor landscaped rear courtyard and roof terrace;
- On-site social services provided by CAMBA
- Adjacent to Stone Avenue Children's Library, Van Dyke Playground, with close proximity to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, and several charter schools and day care facilities.
- Sustainable design and healthy indoor air quality meeting LEED, NYSERDA, Enterprise Green Communities standards:
- Transit-oriented development: Access to 3 and L trains, located on the B14 and B60 Bus lines, and connects to a city bike lane running in front of the building;
- On-site bicycle parking.
On-site social services provided by CAMBA include:
- Financial literacy;
- Healthcare access;
- Mental health care;
- Employment services;
- Education/job training;
- Family services;
- Access to CAMBA's 150 comprehensive services.
- Minority- and Women-Owned Businesses hiring goals.
- Construction and Permanent job creation.
- Sustainable design & healthy indoor air quality meeting LEED Silver, NYSERDA, Enterprise Green Communities standards;
- Built with low/no-VOC paints and finishes;
- Water saving plumbing fixtures;
- High efficiency boilers;
- Energy efficient appliances;
- Energy efficient lighting, including motion sensors;
- Building will operate an ERV (energy recovery ventilator) for energy efficient ventilation;
- Exterior terrace and courtyard planted with native or adaptive landscaping;
- High-efficiency irrigation system;
- Construction waste to be monitored throughout construction with a target rate of at least 75% diverted from landfills via recycling;
- Project will achieve at least 15% estimate energy cost savings when compared to baseline building code;
CAMBA Housing Ventures is proud to be an ENERGY STAR Developer Partner and to offer ENERGY STAR® certified apartments. The ENERGY STAR label means that units have been designed to save energy and water and are built to higher standards than other apartments on the market today. For tenants this means lower utility bills and a home that is more comfortable throughout the year. The ENERGY STAR label gives residents the peace of mind that their home has undergone a thorough process of inspections, testing, and verification to ensure that they meet strict requirements set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Learn more about ENERGY STAR certified apartments and condominiums at http://www.energystar.gov/certifiedapartments.